At Fringford C of E Primary School, we believe that PE should provide inspiring opportunities for ALL pupils to be physically confident and active in ways that support their health, fitness and wellbeing. A high-quality PE curriculum should inspire pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sports and other physically active activities. We believe that providing our pupils with such opportunities, will foster in them values such as respect and fairness and will give them physical literacy skills so they can enjoy a life-long love of sport and being active.
- To develop our children’s competency, enabling them to excel in a broad range of physical activities. Children will develop their fundamental movement skills to become confident in moving with agility, balance and coordination.
- To help our children develop and apply their skills in different physical activities and sports with increasing competence and confidence.
- To ensure our children are active for sustained periods of time in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
- To ensure our children are engaged in competitive sports and activities, enjoying communicating, collaborating and competing against others and themselves.
- To ensure our children are inspired to lead healthy, active lifestyles for life.
- PE is taught as a discrete subject yet we strive to thread the ‘being active’ message across ALL subjects, encouraging active learning where possible. Our curriculum is designed to progressively develop the children’s skills. The children will progressively acquire and apply their physical literacy skills in each Key Stage.
- Lessons are taught twice weekly by the class teacher, with CPD support from a specialist PE Mentor, and through provision from Premier based on the requirements of the PE National Curriculum. In all lessons, children are guided, supported or stretched according to their abilities and learning styles.
- During break times our Y5 and Y6 young leaders provide opportunities for younger children to be more active through carefully thought out games and activites.
- We provide a range of sports clubs after school, in partnership with NOSSP, ACA Coaching, ASL and Premier, ranging from netball and football to gymnastics, yoga and athletics.
- We follow the Rawmarsh Scheme of Work for all areas of the PE curriculum to ensure our teaching is progressive and consistent and we use this to assess the children’s learning also.
- Through our assessment we look at a range of life skills, including thinking, planning and leadership skills. We also assess children’s understanding of health and wellbeing and how they can implement this in their own lives.
- Through our partnership with North Oxfordshire School Sports Partnership, we have a continuous competition offer for competitive sports and targeted festivals.
Children acquire the appropriate age and development related knowledge and skills linked to the PE curriculum, which enables them to make good progress from their starting points.
Key Stage 1
Pupils should master basic fundamental movement skills such as running, jumping, throwing and catching as well as their agility, balance and coordination skills and begin to apply these in a range of activities. They should participate in team games and perform simple movement patterns.
Key Stage 2
Pupils should be taught previous skills in insolation and in combinations in competitive games (modified) and apply attacking and defending principles. They should perform a range of movement patterns with developing strength, flexibility, technique and control. Pupils should take part in challenge activities and be able to compare their performances and demonstrate how they can improve/achieve their best. They must also be able to swim competently and confidently over 25m using a range of strokes.
All of this will lead to our children being physically literate, having the skills and confidence to take part in sports and activities. They will develop a love of being active, and an understanding of the importance of being active and healthy to stay well, which they will take with them throughout their lives.