At Fringford C of E Primary, we believe that learning another language gives children a new and broader perspective on the world, encouraging them to understand their own culture and those of others. Learning a foreign language is a liberation from insularity and provides an opening to other cultures. A high-quality languages education should foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. They should be able to express their ideas and thoughts in another language whilst understanding, and responding to, its speakers, both in speech and in writing. We intend to provide opportunities for them to communicate for practical purposes, learn new ways of thinking and read in the original language. We hope that, by learning a language, our children will be inspired to learn further languages thereby equipping them with the means to widen their horizons, leading, in the future, to study and work in other countries.
- To develop an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- To understand a different culture and help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- To speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Our curriculum is designed to progressively develop children skills in French, through regular taught lessons. Children progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary organised around topics. Children are encouraged and supported to develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing activities and games. As confidence and skill grows, children record their work through pictures, captions and sentences.
- We use the CGP Salut! Programme of Study for Years 3 to 6.
- Children demonstrate increased enjoyment and understanding from learning a foreign language and about a different culture to their own.
Lower KS2 Units